Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Honesty and Hamburgers

Today as I was returning a movie to Blockbuster (Sherlock Holmes; enjoyed it), I decided to run through the Wendy's drive-thru. Even though we have been in the new place for almost three weeks, we still haven't done a proper grocery run. Yikes. Anyway, I ordered what I refer to as a big kid's meal which is essentially bigger than a kid's meal but smaller than a regular meal and the person asked me if I would like it, "small, medium or large?" to which I replied, "small" as I thought that that was the right answer. Anyway, when I pulled up to the window to pay I noticed that the total was larger than it should have been. I clarified what I'd ordered to the guy working and he fixed the problem. Essentially, because I answered, "small" I had unknowingly upsized my meal. First off, why would they offer to upsize a junior meal? Why wouldn't I just order the bigger meal?! And secondly, the girl gave me the options, "small, medium or large". I guess I was supposed to answer, "as is". I made a comment to the guy taking my money that the size options are confusing. He said matter-of-factly, "Yeah, I know. They do that on purpose to get more money out of people." How's that for honesty. And the funny part is, it's obviously, transparently true. I realize that he's not supposed to say it to the customers but why not? Isn't honestly always the best policy? Do the corporate Wendy's folks think they are fooling anyone? Surely Dave Thomas would not approve. In the end, they ended up screwing up my order. That didn't matter. I enjoyed my little serving of Wendy's employee brutal honestly too much to mind.

*** And a quick search of "Wendy's small medium large" has uncovered lots of similar (albeit often angrier) rants about Wendy's confusing size structure.

1 comments:

Bryan Raydio said...

corporations are awesome