Friday, February 19, 2010

What is Stephen Harper Reading?

Oh my. This. is. amazing. I can't even tell you how thrilled I am by this blog.

In 2004 while running for Prime Minister, Stephen Harper was asked by a reporter what his favourite book was. His answer was, "The Guinness Book of World Records".

On April 14, 2007 Yann Martel, the author of the Man Booker Prize winning novel Life of Pi wrote in an article published in the Globe and Mail:

"For as long as Stephen Harper is Prime Minister of Canada, I vow to send him every two weeks, mailed on a Monday, a book that has been known to expand stillness. That book will be inscribed and will be accompanied by a letter I will have written. I will faithfully report on every new book, every inscription, every letter, and any response I might get from the Prime Minister, on this website."

And he has. A book of the first two years of letters was published last year which is how I first heard of it and I was/am very pleased to see that he has continued and that he has every book and letter published on the blog. You can also read the full Globe and Mail article and more on the backstory.

I am very much looking forward to sifting through all of the letters (which from what I've read so far are VERY entertaining) and using recommendations for future reading.

0 comments: